SHOULD I HIRE A DOULA?
Studies show the continuous support a doula provides from pre- to post-birth can:
- increase the chances of spontaneous vaginal births (12%), decreasing the need for vacuum, forceps-assisted births, and C-sections (28%)
- decrease the need for pain medication (9%) and epidurals (31%),
- reduce negative feelings associated with childbirth (34%),
- shorten labor by ~40 minutes
- decrease the need for newborns to be placed in a special care nursery (14%)
It is my mission to empower mothers as they begin the humble work of parenting.
I help families get a loving start by supporting the birthing mother with physical comfort measures, emotional reassurance and comprehensive information regarding options and interventions in pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period.
My name is Sarah Abigail Ejigu (known affectionately as Abby), and I am a professionally trained labor doula. As a mother of three, I know firsthand the excitement of growing a family, and the many questions that come along with it.
A doula is an independent contractor and works for you, not your caregiver or hospital. My home base is located in Berkeley, CA, and I serve the San Francisco Bay Area community.
- CAPPA Certified Labor Doula (CLD) (2016)
- Professionally Trained Postpartum Doula (2017)
- Prenatal Baby & Me yoga instructor (2009-2011)
- BA in Anthropology from UC Santa Cruz (2004)
- Moderator for Bay Area Breastfeeding Support Group (2016)
- Ambassador for National Perinatal Task Force (2014-present)